Friday, February 1, 2008

Dust

(Written January 16, 2008)

Satan doesn’t get to win. I mean it. Really.

How many times have I said it?

It’s true. I know.

I know he cannot win the war. It’s the everyday battles in which he strives to add notches to his belt.

Exactly what constitutes a battle? Must it be a decision with diamond value? Can’t it also be a reaction or a thought with the significance of a speck of dust? Of course a diamond has value, but maybe we are overlooking the magnitude of dust.

One dust particle is meaningless. One slip of our attitude isn’t devastating, especially if no one else sees.

But what happens when dust accumulates? It’s dirty and can become unhealthy.

This morning I received an email with a piece of dust. It was a message telling me, once again, that the company liked my skills and experience but were choosing another candidate for the position.

There it was… a shoulder sag, slow blink, head shake, and weary sigh. I could almost feel defeat’s breath rustle my hair with a whisper, “Of course you didn’t get it. You are going to be stuck here forever.”

There is a thickness that forms in your chest just before your eyes well up. It is usually accompanied by a tingle in your nose as you realize tears are on the way.

Of course I’m not going to let that happen because I'm at work, so I won’t let a single tear escape. (Work being yet another temp job for which I reside between resentment and gratitude.)

Then I hear another voice and it tells me I am not stuck, and I am not forgotten. This beautiful voice tells me I have been chosen. It reminds me this will not last forever.

Suddenly my chin lifts and my eyes start blinking faster. Now I’m blinking back the tears of deliverance not defeat.

Father God thank you for remembering me and reminding me this is all but a blink of an eye.

As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him. For He knows what we are made of, remembering that we are dust. As for man, his days are like grass – he blooms like a flower in the field; when the wind passes over it, it vanishes, and its place is no longer known.
Psalm 103: 13-16

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Yay!! I get to be your first comment! :-D

I love the blog...I love that you *have* a blog...I love the colors...and I so *especially* love the title!!!

And I needed to read these words *again* today. Badly. God knew I needed for you to call today, and that He needed to put these words before me again today. (((Big hugs))) and thank you...for once again letting God use you even when you didn't know what was going on!

I can't wait to see more *creative confetti* here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips