Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I See The Moon


Last night there was an exquisite, full moon. The photograph doesn't do it justice by any stretch. I wish I had the proper equipment (and know-how) to have been able to capture the beauty God placed in the sky last night.

For those that missed it, let me describe the view from middle Tennessee. Our sky was filled to capacity with clouds. But these weren't mountainous, corpulent clouds. Instead, the sky looked as if it had been covered in a thick, luxuriant down comforter. The clouds stretched over the entire sky and moved at a significant pace. There were a few rips in the fabric from time to time but the blanket remained intact for the most part. Despite the prominent cloud cover the moon was so brilliant it shone through clearly.

By now you are wondering why I spent so much time looking at the moon. Well, I've been watching the moon for the last 4 nights waiting for it to be full. You see full moons are special. And I don't mean special in the way my friend Cara would convey. (Cara is an ER nurse and full moons mean something altogether different to her.)

Each month, during the full or new moon my daddy and I call each other and look at the moon together. And since Daddy works nights we are able to do this rather easily. I don't remember how this little tradition got started but we have been doing it for years. When there is a full moon and the phone rings late in the evening we know who will be on the other end.

I know what most of you ladies are thinking. "Ahhhhh. That is so sweet." (I say ladies because I seriously don't think there are any guys, to which I am not related, reading this blog.) And you ladies would be spot on. It is sweet. This is a sweet, sometimes funny, always enjoyable occasion with my daddy. In fact, we've spoken on the phone for the last 4 nights in anticipation of our prize.

Somewhere along the way this little ceremony was no longer reserved for full moons. Now any time the moon is particularly nice or interesting we call each other. I remember once when the entire moon was visible but only 1/4 of it was actually bright and shining. I called Daddy and said, "Daddy you should see the moon. It looks like it has a French manicure." His response was, "What? I don't know that is!" HA! Do you guys remember the post about my Marine Corps Daddy? Why in the world did I think he would know what I was talking about.

So, last night I called Daddy at 11:04 to look at the moon. His shift ends at midnight so I had plenty of time to catch him before I went to bed. There was just one, itty-bitty problem. Daddy wasn't at work. He was in bed. I had gotten so wrapped up in watching our treasure that I forgot it was Daddy's night off. When he answered the phone I heard a small commotion. He had knocked all the pictures over on the side table trying to answer the phone. I felt dreadful. However, Daddy didn't mind at all. He was happy to talk to me about our moon.

The moon will be beautiful again tonight if the storm clouds allow. I want to encourage you to go out and enjoy a glimpse of God's creativity, and maybe start some traditions of your own.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im not relative & I read your blog everytime I something new. This blog is very special because it is something that is betwen three very special people. you,your dad, & your Hevanly Dad. & no one can take that away from you. enjoy your night with the moon tonight.

Dee said...

Great shot, T. Almost as great as your daddy/daughter tradition!

Jennifer said...

Awww...now I am laughing and crying all at once! Makes me miss my daddy and yours both! I can just *hear* your daddy about the French manicure, and I can almost see the whole commotion when the phone rang. :-D You need to get home soon and give your daddy a hug for me!!

Beautiful photo, too!!

Cbell said...

Awww... I love the moon! I have enjoyed it for the last couple of nights and it is so cool that you have this wonderful time with your Daddy!

Kecia said...

That is precious. Cherish those moments!
I saw the moon that night, too. I took my 4 year old, Rebecca, out in her jammies to look at it. Hopefully I'm making memories, too. :)

Janie said...

I think you did a pretty good job of showing the pretty moon! I love the tradition you have with your daddy! You described everything so beautifully.

I love you! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips