Sunday, December 18, 2011

Super Simple, Super Sweet Sugar Scrub

My mom needed an idea for Christmas gifts for her Sunday School class. She needed the gifts to be inexpensive because there are 24 ladies in her class, but she also wanted something sweet and personal. I suggested making sugar scrub. It's perfect for dry winter hands.

I had received homemade sugar scrub from a lovely lady I know, and she told me how easy it was to make. She made several types of scrubs but pointed out that a simple scrub was best to give as a gift. By simple I mean there are no scents or extra exfoliate ingredients added. This cuts down on possible allergic reactions. Personally I think a peppermint scrub sounds divine. You can also add a drop of food coloring to the sugar for extra adorability.

Mom bought two dozen half-pint jars, and they were a great deal. Each jar was under 75¢. The ingredients needed are sugar and olive oil. I told you it was simple. (Disclaimer: The pictures are frightfully bland, with bad lighting and lacking color. This was a last minute idea. Please forgive me.)

The jars came with a red gingham pattern printed on the lid. It looked pretty cheesy to me, so we covered them with thick scrapbook paper. The before and after are below.




Into each jar, I poured a 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of olive oil. I found that using a little less that 1/4 cup of oil works better. Let the oil seep into the sugar then use a fork to dig up the mixture. Don't get too excited when you are plowing through the sugar, or you will have to run a paper towel around the inside lip of your jar to clean it up. No one wants a messy gift.

If you don't chop your sugar, it looks like you are giving
a jar of oily glob.

And voilĂ !
24 inexpensive jars of Christmas love.
(I moved the jars outside for better lighting.)

Thanks for stopping by. If you like what you've seen then give my page a "like" creative confetti (website) on Facebook, and subscribe on the right. Feel free to pin and share via the widget to the left. I'd also love to hear from you, so leave a comment or send me an email.

3 comments:

Kecia said...

Rebecca and I were looking for a sugar scrub recipe yesterday! We may make some for ourselves this week. :)

Rodney Bowen said...

Great idea! ..and a great blog - great work, Tauna!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to make this! Your tutorials are always so good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips